viernes, 7 de octubre de 2011

Pride and prejudice, after all

Having lived in London for over three months, I finally had had the feeling of maybe being an unwanted guest. This is not about a specific case. Actually, if I were asked to provide any example to make this statement clearer, I would not be able to do it.
I do not know what exactly makes me feel this. Maybe I am getting too paranoid, but every time I go out, I have the strong feeling of being a foreigner. Of course I am, but people shouldn't know it at their first glance. And of course every time I open my mouth to speak, it is evident I am not from this country; and as I haven't got a French accent...Well, they just don't feel comfortable with my Spanish accent, that's all I can say.
I am starting thinking that my Spanish accent is getting even stronger with the passing of time. I have a kind of nostalgic accent: an accent that misses its country and tries to reinforce its identity by putting itself forward. Will I ever sound like a British person? Do I really want to bother myselft by trying to achieve that aim? What do people think when I am trying to express myself?
Although I have met really nice people, there are some who just expect I should know everything about them. I am in favour of getting used to the culture of the country you are living in, but there are plenty of things to learn. I just need time. Therefore, if I do not know on my first day at uni that I have to put my ID card under a bar code reader to complete my registration process, or that potatoes are usually outside at an offlicense shop, or that tips must be over a pound or two to be something acceptable... Do not look at me as if I were the most despicable human being on Earth, because I might seem stupid here, but I deserve a little bit of patience. 
I don't really know where this proud-of-not-being-you attitude comes from. We, the invaders may also be intelligent human beings, no matter how hard it is for you to believe it. That is all I have to say.

3 comentarios:

  1. Be careful with this intention of sounding British. I agree with you with perfectionating our English in order to not sound so Spanish but does it mean that we have to lose our accent? this accent is part of our personality and identity. the same that I wouldn´t like to loose my regional accent in favour of the "centre" one. So Les´t live and enjoy the experience without forgetting that we are foreigns.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. LOL, I get your point and I kind of agree with that. Actually I like being exotic because of my Spanish accent. I would be really proud if I didn't have this feeling of being rejected by some people. Being Spanish here seems to be like being stupid. It's implied and some cannot see beyond this prejudice.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Prejudice is almost imposible to avoid. Everybody has an unconscious knowlodge in his/her mind and it is very difficult to ignore it. However, I know that being in a different country, especially in one which is considered better developed, can provoke uncomfortability and feelings of rejection. But don´t forget something, you represent us and we know you ´ll make us be proud of being Spanish!

    ResponderEliminar